Wednesday, July 13, 2005

stalker exhaustion...

Still recovering from a very long weekend. My sister and I both sick from all the late nights, early mornings, and emotional upheavals that I just plain didn't expect. I plan a full on, blow by blow account of the gaimanerd (coined by sister) weekend I was so happily a part of. But not now. Now is a time spent for rest, for reflection, and as much calamansi juice (gaiman approved) as my body can handle.

I think I'll settle down and watch my new vcd of the superfriends. Bought it out of pure nostalgia. I remember this was one of my favorite cartoons when I was little. I just loved the idea that all these super heroes got together and formed a group. I loved the scene breaks with those stars going "hooowa!!! hoooowa!!!" higher note on the wa!!!! Or is it dooowah? hoooongwa? basta, it's like a big disco flourish, wa bam and pang!!!




top five animation I want to see again:
1. Flight of dragons



I especially loved the moment when the knight bids his sword to strike true one last time...And then...farewell...sniff


2. bakshi's fire and ice

la lang, lupit siya, especially the opening sequence when evil white blonde guy starts getting migraines, thus releasing ice bergs from the earth...
















3. Light years








doomsday stuff involving great big evil gurgling gooey gelatin brain matter thing slowly destroying the alien world that created it.



4. unico in the island of magic (something my sis borrowed when we were kids. You think it's about a cute little unicorn, but it's actually about GENOCIDE!!! The land of forgotten toys was particularly haunting as well)










5. The mighty orbots




(don't kill me. That series just reminds me of Saturday mornings, when the family would go rent vhs from such establishments as junction video, video bug, and my especial favorite, the bijou. And we'd stock up on the orbots, max headroom, and eighties teen flicks with lots of gratuitous nudity. ah, those were the days...

2 Comments:

Blogger Luis K. said...

Hey! I have a VCD of Flight of Dragons, currently with Indira. Been wanting to rewatch it myself, lately; for some reason, a couple of weeks ago -- I think I wanted to give a copy to my pamangkin Kaya -- it was on my mind. Went on a few Google searches, trying to turn up more info on the movie. As a child, I always wanted to get the book it was based on, but it seems that the movie was not a more-or-less faithful translation of a single book (in the way that, say, The Last Unicorn is), but based on at least two books: The Dragon and the George and The Flight of Dragons.

Funnily enough, btw, the calamansi juice that Neil liked so much -- given to him by a fan during one of the signings -- wasn't even 'real' calamansi juice, it was one of those plastic-bottled things. During the lunch, we wanted him to try fresh calamansi juice, but apparently the restaurant didn't have any. One of us suggested buko juice, but he said he had already tried it before. So he ordered dalandan juice, which never arrived.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Luis K. said...

Speaking of Superfriends: have you been watching Justice League Unlimited? :) An excellent, excellent show, full of great writing and a ton of DC characters, iconic and otherwise. In one episode, Superman, Wonder Woman and the others encounter a new, younger, "edgier" superteam, called the Ultimen -- and after watching the Ultimen in action, you realize that they're based on the, um, 'ethnic' Superfriends! Wind Dragon is an updated Samurai, Juice is the cool version of Black Vulcan, and even the Wonder Twins get modernized, as Shifter and Downpour. One of my favorite episodes, to my surprise, focused on Booster Gold, and in another episode, Batman does something that he's NEVER done before, to save Wonder Woman. Great show.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home